Monday, January 17, 2011

Meet the Cricut Expression




Greetings! When I first got my Cricut Expression I was pretty much clueless about how to use it and what it could do for me. I'd even done research beforehand and was still uncertain. There just wasn't anywhere on the web that would give me simple, clean cut instructions and information. All I knew was that it would make my life as a crafter 100x easier. So here's a brief overview specifically for the Cricut Expression. It doesn't nearly cover everything but hopefully you'll get the idea about what a Cricut is. If I didn't cover it here, please feel free to leave a comment with your question or input. Also, even though I have first-hand experience with the Expression, I'm still learning, so please be easy on me all you vet scrappers out there. ;) 

What is a Cricut Expression?
This glorious machine has many uses. The primary one that I use it for is cutting out titles for my scrapbook pages. I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent with my tiny scissors, cutting out letters to decorate my pages. Talk about the need for patience! I also use it to cut out borders for my photos and shapes to create more elaborate pages.

Why would I want the Expression, opposed to the Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter?
The Expression can cut die cuts on a mat as large as 12x24. This is the biggest difference between the Cricut Expression and the Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter, which is basically a smaller version of the Expression. The Expression is good for bulletin boards and larger projects in which you would need to cut larger letters. The Expression also comes in four fun colors: plum, aqua, green, and a sunny yellow. Cartridges are interchangeable between the Expression and Personal Electronic Cutter.

What does a Cricut Expression require to work?
The Cricut Expression uses a tiny blade to make its cuts. You'll need to install the blade (provided with any new Cricut Expression you purchase) when you first use your Cricut. This is an easy process that won't take long. Refer to the user manual for step-by-step instructions on how to do this. The user manual states: "You can expect anywhere from 500 to 1500 single cuts from your cutting blade before it requires replacement. Your actual cutting blade life will vary, depending on the settings you use and the materials you cut." When your blade starts to rip the paper when cutting, it's probably time for a new blade. You can find replacement blades online or at a local crafting store such as JoAnn's.

The Cricut also requires a mat to make its cuts (also provided with any new Cricut Expression purchase). A mat is a hard, sticky sheet that the paper you're cutting adheres to so that the paper doesn't slide around while your Cricut is cutting. "You can expect anywhere from 25-40 full mat cuts(expect even more when a cut is smaller than the full mat)." When the paper no longer sticks to the cutting mat, you need to replace the mat. You can find replacement mats online or at crafting stores. 
Cricut Classic Font Cartridge
In addition to a blade and a mat, the Cricut also requires a cartridge to function. Basically, cartridges are things you insert into the Cricut Expression to tell it what to cut. Cartridges come with a keypad that lays over the Cricut keypad and typically a booklet that tells you about the cartridge. The Playtime cartridge and Cricut Classic Font cartridges came with my Expression. Cartridges can be pretty pricey, especially if the cartridge is licensed like these. But if you shop smart and use coupons, you can find them relatively cheap. Websites such as Ebay and Craigslist are good resources to find cartridges at a decent price. Also, cartridges are not a consumable resource, so talk to your crafty friends about the cartridges they have and sharing yours, like when your mom or friends raid your closet and share your clothes and shoes... or wait, maybe that's just me. But you get the idea. It's like having access to two wardrobes instead of one!

What materials can the Cricut cut?
The Cricut Expression cuts paper. There is a pressure setting on the Cricut that can adjust how hard the blade presses on your paper. With thick materials such as card stock you'll want to use more pressure to complete the cut, otherwise the blade will not cut all the way through your paper, which can be a waste. You'll learn a lot through experimentation and expect to make mistakes. Eventually you'll get the hang of the Cricut Expression.

I sincerely hope that this helped to better explain what a Cricut is. The scrapbooking world can get quite confusing to the beginner. I'm still trying to figure it out, but so far it's been quite the adventure! 

Tchau!


No comments:

Post a Comment